Forty Ahadith Masjid Al-Aqsa
Of all the symbols of Islam, the most neglected in our time is Masjid al-Aqsa, in Jerusalem. For various reasons, ranging from political compromise to appeasement, the Ummah has ignored not only the virtues but also the plight of this Holy Site.
It is with the intention to rekindle the love, affection and devotion of Muslims to Masjid al-Aqsa that I have compiled this small booklet of 40 ahadith. Since the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) showed such great concern for it and inculcated into the Companions the need to liberate Masjid al-Aqsa and Jerusalem I hope we can adorn the teachings of our Noble Prophet (pbuh) and take the urgent practical step required to safeguard Masjid al-Aqsa
Masjid al-Aqsa is no ordinary Masjid; it forms the basis of our history and is the cornerstone of mankind's foundation. The Noble Prophet (pbuh) dedicated a great deal of his life nurturing the Companions to appreciate the excellent qualities of Masjid al-Aqsa and prepared them to embark on an expedition to liberate Jerusalem which at the time was in the hands of
the mighty Roman empire.
Some of the reasons why Masjid al-Aqsa should form an important aspect of a believer's dedication, and the reason why many pious individuals have given their wealth and lives, include the fact that Masjid al-Aqsa is:
1. the first qiblah for Muslims;
2. the station of al-Isra' and al-Mi'raj;
3. the second house of Allah built on earth;
4. the place where hundreds of Messengers of Allah are buried;
5. the place where many Companions are buried;
6. a place where miracles were shown by Allah's will;
7. a place which Allah SWT Himself calls a 'blessed place';
8. referred to directly and indirectly, seventy times in the Holy Qur'an;
9. the place where angels have descended with Allah's message;
10. the only place on earth where all the Messengers of Allah prayed at the same time led by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh);
11. the only Masjid mentioned by name in the Holy Qur'an apart from the Ka'bah.
It is for the above reasons and many more that we need to understand our responsibilites regarding safeguarding the Masjid al-Aqsa which is in great danger of being demolished by Israeli extremists.
The revival of this aspect of sunnah is urgently needed and I pray that the Almighty Allah SWT gives me and all my friends and colleagues the courage to direct our effort and energy to ensure that the historical legacy of Masjid al-Aqsa which we have inherited from the efforts and sacrifices of our predecessors is passed on to the next generation.
I pray that we can all reflect on the following verses of the Holy Qur'an for our guidance, Ameen.